June 3, 2008

Colonial Williamsburg Pt. 3

Next we observed a nut being devoured by a descendant of a colonial era squirrel.
Wanna watch him eat it? Click on the video below!
The plants and landscape designs of the 18th century can be found throughout the historic area. Here is Colonial Garden where it all begins.
Colonial Williamsburg is home to two rare breeds of sheep-Hog Island sheep and Leicester Longhorns.
The first hospital devoted solely to treating the mentally ill opened in 1773 in Williamsburg. Let's go into The Public Hospital for Persons of Insane and Disordered Minds and see who should move on in.

The tranquilizer chair is the most complete restraint of a patient's every move ever devised.
There was one vote that Doug should remain in the Public Hospital...luckily, that voter wasn't registered in the town of Colonial Williamsburg.

The Museums of Colonial Williamsburg feature both British and American antiques from 1660 to 1820.
The ongoing exhibit, "American Furniture: From Virginia to Vermont", features pieces from the three regions of eastern Virginia, Pennsylvania and New England.
In "A Child's Eye View", visitors will find a large collection of intricately detailed dollhouses.

This dollhouse was found in the attic of a Long Island mansion slated to be demolished and was acquired by FAO Schwartz in 1969. It was briefly displayed in the window of the Fifth Avenue toyshop before moving here to the DeWitt Wallace Decorative Arts Museum.
Kitchen...
Foyer...
Parlor...
Our favorite room was the solarium!
The ongoing exhibit, "Revolution in Taste", features almost every type of antique teapot you could think of.
One of the Persons of Insane and Disordered Minds actually thinks he is posing with his family.
To be continued...

No comments: